GRILLED BABY POTATOES AND CREAMY BROCCOLI SALAD
Last year, around Christmas I made some cookies, which I had posted on my blog, they were soooo tasty that I gave them the name “Eat sum more Christmas cookies”. I thought it was a fantastic idea to give that name. Even on my blog people liked that name, some even appreciated it. But that was a festive season and everybody was in a festive mood.
I wish I could give some interesting name to this recipe too- like “Christmas on a plate” :). I do not know what people will think about it, but I hope you will like it. This idea came to my mind because this dish is so colourful, and three dominating colours of this dish - green, white and red appear at the same time on a plate.
Few months back, when I was watching Master chef India, the first vegetarian master chef TV show. I really liked some of the names given to the prepared dishes by some contestants in it. In a few episodes of that show, the judges gave some strange combinations of ingredients to the contestants, e.g. sweet potato, orange, cheese, lemon grass and oats (I just made up this combination, I do not exactly remember, what were the ingredients). The contestants were asked to choose at least three of them to make a snack item. I remember one contestant, after preparing a snack item, gave the name to the dish “Tea with mom”. The other one gave the name “Shadow of umbrella”. Judges laughed and appreciated the names given to the dishes by the contestants. Sometimes they look funny, but if they correspond together with the idea or some incidence with the dish they make sense to me, I really liked those names.
Coming to the recipe: this is a low fat recipe because very little oil is used in potatoes and low fat cream cheese is used with broccoli. I have sprinkled paprika on top of the potatoes to give a nice colour and slight taste of chilli because paprikas give more colour than heat. This plate can be served as a full meal, as vegetables are there, protein is there in cream cheese and carb is also there in the form of potatoes.
- 500 grams baby potatoes.
- 1 bunch of broccoli (500 grams)
- 2 big tomatoes sliced
- 150 grams low fat cream cheese
- 2 tbs milk
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Salt, black pepper and paprika to taste
- Few coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Boil potatoes till they are well done.
- When cold, cut potatoes in half, toss with olive oil and spread on an oven tray, sprinkle paprika and salt on it.
- Heat the grill at 200 degrees C, roast potatoes for 10-15 minutes till they look golden brown and crispy.
- Slice broccoli in small pieces, either steam it for 10 minutes or heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, till tender but crunchy.
- Leave the cream cheese out of the fridge to come to room temperature, mix milk, salt and black pepper in it.
- When broccoli is cold, mix the cream cheese mixture in it.
- Serve with sliced tomatoes, garnishe with green coriander.
I am sharing this recipe as my blog post entry for Meatless Monday, and with What'd you do this weekend, and with Tasty Tuesday Creative kids, and Cook blog share, and with wonderful Wednesday and with Healthy living link party, and my two fav things on Thursday, and with Fiesta Friday, and with Real Food Friday and Food and Fitness Friday, and with Friday free for all, and with Way wow link party, and with No Crouton required together with Tinned tomatoes, and with Extra Veg for January together with Michelle,