CORN ON THE COB CURRY
One of the joys of life is to see your children move on in their lives and settle into beautiful relationships and start their own families. When my son announced to me about his special someone several years ago and his intention to marry, not only was I thrilled with the news but also the realization that she was the daughter of my best friend. I had seen her grow up right before my eyes, and now she was going to be my daughter-in-law. It was a warm fuzzy feeling that the friends I had known for so many years were now going to be family.
I wanted to share this good news with my friend as soon as possible, assuming that she may not know about this relationship. I called her and told her that I will see her in the evening that day. We (my husband and I) met that evening and gave them the good news. My assumption was right, they had no idea about this relationship and they were also thrilled with the news we gave them. That evening was remarkably good as we all enjoyed each other’s company more than ever before.
I am writing all this because today I am sharing her recipe. Many of her recipes are regulars in my kitchen and when corn was in season, this curry was always on her menu. Whenever I make her recipe I miss her a lot as she now lives in New Zealand which is far from Canada. I miss those days when we were together in Africa, when we used to chit-chat the whole day, enjoyed each other’s company, nice food and drinks. Yesterday when I talked to her she said, “That was the golden period of our life when we were together in Africa”.
Coming to the recipe, if you like corn, you will love this awesome recipe. To enjoy this corn on the cob curry, get ready to have messy fingers; that is the only way to enjoy this, you cannot eat this with a fork and knife!
- 2 corn on the cob
- 1 onion (medium)
- Small piece of ginger
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup yoghurt plus 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch turmeric
- salt and chili powder to taste
- 1 tbs coconut oil ( any other oil)
- Peel the corn and slice into 3-4 pieces
- Boil in water for 15-20 minutes till it is done.
- Heat oil in a fry pan, add mustard seeds and curry leaves, let it splutter, then add thinly sliced onion and ginger, saute till light brown.
- Add coconut milk in it plus salt and turmeric and let it boil. Add the beaten yoghurt (mix yoghurt with water and beat the mixture) and let it boil.
- Mix well corn starch in 2 tbs water and add it to the curry and boil for one more minute.
- Corn on the cob curry is ready; you can serve to 3-4 people.