Friday 15 May 2015

BAKED ASPARAGUS

Baked Asparagus

Edited: - My this post was featured as one of the best posts at-

1. Hearth and soul blog hop on 26th may 2015,

2  My Two favourite things at cooking and craft weekly party on May 28th, 2015.

3.Also featured at Bake of the week on 5th June 2015

4. This recipe was published in the local Newspaper "Here's the Scoop " of  Airdrie on 23rd of July 2015.



I have hardly seen asparagus in my long stay in Africa. Only in South Africa, they were available for a very short time and very small in size, as compared to what we got in North America. Even in my youth, when I was in India, I had not seen asparagus available in vegetable shops or with vegetable vendors.


Now here in Canada, I am amazed to see this vegetable is available in plenty and in all seasons. I think everybody knows the enormous health benefits of eating asparagus.


In the Hindi language it is called “shatavari”, In Ayurveda (Traditional Healing system of India) it is considered as the queen of herbs and used as a divine medicine. The list of benefits of eating this vegetable in Ayurveda is very long, and it is considered very good for women because shatavari supports reproductive health by toning and nourishing the female reproductive organ and maintains healthy hormonal balance.(Source).


This vegetable can be used in many recipes and in many ways. This is a very simple and nice recipe because asparagus is not over cooked. As we know, in a case of all vegetables, overcooking can destroy the nutrients of the vegetables.



RECIPE

INGREDIENTS


  • 500 grams asparagus
  • Himalayan pink salt to taste *OR kala namak
  • black pepper powder to taste
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • 2 tbs orange juice
  • 2 tbs orange zest
  • 2 tbs olive oil
    * Himalayan pink salt is available in Indian grocery shops or any specialized food shop.
METHOD
  • Rinse asparagus and remove the hard end/stem of all the sticks.
  • Sprinkle salt, black pepper powder, coriander powder and mix well.
  • Mix orange juice and olive oil.
  • Sprinkle orange zest and mixture of orange juice and olive all.
  • Spread asparagus in a single line on a baking tray.
  • Heat oven to 200 degrees C
  • Bake for 10-15 minutes till they are soft.
  • Serve hot as a side dish.


39 comments:

  1. These are simply beautiful - those pretty asparagus are calling my name. The photos are so inviting, too. Thanks for linking up to Fiesta Friday. Have a lovely weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know how I didnt know this, but I had no idea you lived in Canada, that is really cool! I love the sound of this though, I never know what to do with asparagus, great recipe Sadhna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love asparagus and this recipe sounds very good! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love asparagus :)
    happy anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asparagus is so delicious, especially when it's roasted. This looks amazing. Thank you for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks perfect.. Pass me some pls

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had Himalayan pink salt before, but I love asparagus, and that looks awesome!! Stopping by from Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday.

    Jebbica
    http://jebbicasworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jebbica, Thanks for visiting my blog.You can get pink salt from Indian grocery shop or whole foods.

      Delete
  8. Oooh this looks and sounds delicious, we love asparagus so this is a must try! x #cookblogshare

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love asparagus, and I'm always looking for new ways to cook it. I'm going to try your recipe. It looks amazing! Thanks for linking up and sharing with us at Funtastic Friday. Hope you join us again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!! I love these so much I'm featuring you tomorrow!! Thanks for Sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party!! Hope to see you again tomorrow!! Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for featuring and pinning.I will check tomorrow.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured this week at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miz Helen for featuring my recipe, I will come and check.

      Delete
  12. My husband loves asparagus and I know he would adore these Thank you for sharing on #VegetablePalette

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recipe, love if you share another recipe on Fabulous Friday this week
    Thanks
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. love aspragus and what a fabulous way to make it. Stopping by from #RealFoodFridays

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sadna,
    I love fresh asparagus and this recipe sounds simple but tasty that would be great for any ocassion. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & twitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marla, Thanks for visiting my blog and and for pinning and tweeting.

      Delete
  16. Sadhna, I love asparagus and this looks so delicious. I would also love these herbs, spices and orange on chicken to serve with the asparagus! Thanks for sharing, I know I say this every week, but I love your stories as much as I love your recipes. Thanks for linking to #WAYWOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Nikki for your comment and for reading the post.

      Delete
  17. I love asparagus! Can't wait to try it this way! Thanks for linking up at From the Archives Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica, Thanks very much for you visit and the comment dear.

      Delete
  18. I would love to serve this easy to make, tasty dish for my next club meeting. My friends would love it! I am so delighted to see your healthy and delicious Baked Asparagus recipe at the Healthy Happy Green Natural Party! I'm Pinning and sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah for your nice comment and for pinning and tweeting.

      Delete
  19. I love, love, love asparagus, but sadly I'm the only one at home that does. Your recipe just made me realize that if I buy a whole pallet of asparagus and make them, then at least no-one will want to share which is a good thing, right? I can't wait to try your recipe Sadhna. The orange juice and zest must add such a delicious bit of extra yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww,that is nice. This is a very tasty recipe,I am very sure you will like it. In my house everyone likes it so when I make around one lb it is sufficient for only one meal. Thanks for your vissit and the comment dear

      Delete
  20. We are urgently in need of kidney donors in Kokilaben Hospital India for the sum of $500,000,00, (3 CRORE INDIA RUPEES) All donors are to reply via Email only: hospitalcarecenter@gmail.com or Email: kokilabendhirubhaihospital@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +91 7795833215

    ReplyDelete