Tuesday 12 January 2016

INSTANT NAAN

INSTANT NAAN

Indian flat bread


I got my first cookery book, as a gift, by one of my colleagues in 1995, which was written by Madhur Jaffrey. I made many dishes using the recipes from her book and everybody in the family has enjoyed them. Some of the recipes were totally new to me where I had to start from scratch. However, her instructions in the book were so easy to follow and the measurements given in that book were so accurate that even an unacquainted person can easily follow them and can cook. I remember once I made coconut chutney using her recipe, then my husband said, “Let me call Madhur Jaffrey and tell her that my wife can cook exactly like you”. That was a big compliment for me.


A few weeks ago, I was amazed to see in the news that Madhur Jaffrey was publishing her 30th cookery book, I could not believe it. Now she is 82 years old, she is an internationally known authority on Indian and vegetarian cooking and a big inspiration to many like me. She is recognised for bringing Indian cuisine to the western world with her first book, which was published in 1973 as “An invitation to Indian cooking”. I was astonished to see how this lady has written so many books in the last six decades and inspired the world with the knowledge of the Indian cuisine.


While I was writing this post, I came across another clip of her in the news on 9th December 2015, when she was interviewed by Chris Caldicott of Telegraph.co.uk. My eyes wanted to get the glimpse of that headline, and it read- “No restaurant can ever compete with home cooked Indian food”. I searched on Google and then read the whole interview.


Through this post, I would like to pay my personal tribute to herself and her reputation in Indian cooking/book writing and want to salute her for the commendable job she did in the field of cookery and book writing from last 50 or more years.


Only because of personalities like Madhur Jaffrey, people in the world today have the knowledge about Indian cuisine. Even before Google came into our life, these were the people spreading the knowledge of Indian cuisine to the world through their writings.


Coming to the recipe, naan is a world famous Indian flat bread, which is served in many Indian and non-Indian restaurants around the world. People really admire this Indian flatbread with both vegetarian and non-veg curries and stews of different types.



I have already posted Stuffed Tandoori Naan on my blog, that was the traditional recipe. This one is an instant one, which can be made in an hour or two depending upon the fermentation of the dough, and off-course is the recipe of Madhur Jaffrey.

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 and ½ cups all-purpose flour/ white bread flour (500 grams)
  • 1 tsp instant yeast *
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • butter to garnish the naan
  • some water to make the dough
  • 1 tbs oil for glazing the dough
* Check instructions on the yeast packet, you might need more.

METHOD


  • Mix instant yeast in half cup warm water, mix it and leave it to froth.
  • Take flour in a big bowl, mix water with yeast and make a medium-hard dough by adding more water.
  • Glaze with oil, cover it with cling film and leave it aside in a warm area to ferment, it may take 1-2 hours, depending on the temperature of the room.
  • Once the dough is fermented, make small balls.
  • Heat the grill /broiler to 200 degrees C
  • Flatten the ball with the help of your palms and roll it, giving round shape around 5 inches diameter.
  • Heat a frying pan on the stove.
  • Roast one side of the naan over fry pan, once slightly roasted transfer it into the oven in a flat tray.
  • Roast till golden brown on both sides, garnish with butter and serve hot, it may take 5-10 minutes.
  • Around 20 naans can be made, depending on the size.

72 comments:

  1. Naan is so so so so so good! UGH! Sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. I too love Madhur Jaffrey. Her World Vegetarian cookbook is one of my most used cookbooks. I had no idea she'd written 30! Thanks for linking up with #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy for your visit and the comment. Glad to know you also like Madhur Jaffrey.

      Delete
  3. I love Naan, and I'd loooooooooooove to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delish! we love a good Indian takeaway!! it would be great to make them ourselves! Thanks so much for linking up to #YumTum !

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love naan around here, but I have never attempted to make it. If it is this easy, then I will try it right away.Thank you for stopping by the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Party Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you like Naan, ya give it a try it is easy. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  6. Instant naan!!!! That is what I needed....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Naan bread. It's always a staple in our house. I'm pinning this recipe and I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks a lot like the greek pita bread. Yes, I love to eat that, every chance I get. What do you eat it with? We eat it with veggies and meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary for your comment, glad to know you like it.I eat with veg curries and stews, as you know i am vegetarian.

      Delete
  9. I just love Naan, and you've made a great recipe showing us that it isn't difficult to make. It is so versatile as an appetizer or with a meal. Thank you so much for sharing it with FF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Julie for your comment and for the visit. Happy Fiesta Friday.

      Delete
  10. I love Naan, my girls too! We eat it with everything!!! So light and delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never had this and I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very sure you will love it. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  12. I have never had Naan before, but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sadhna, I love Naan, as much as I love your stories! I'm wanting to try this with gluten free flour and hope it turns out! I so miss having breads and pastries. Slowly I'm getting there with gluten free products. Cross you fingers for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks very much Nikki. All the best, try with gluten free flour. I never tried gluten free flour before.

      Delete
  14. This version of Naan looks super delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never had Naan. This sounds fairly easy to make!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you comment, you can taste it, you will really like it.

      Delete
  16. this looks really interesting and delicious - you have such yummy food on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love naans, and thanks for the info on Madhur Jaffrey. I can't believe she is 82 and still writing cookbooks. I've never attempted to make naans before, perhaps I will now with your recipe. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loretta,yes, she is 82 and published her 30th book. It is amazing. You can give a try, they are easy to make.

      Delete
  18. These are some perfect Naan! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Naans...sounds interesting with the method U have made, would like to try sooner....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeena, yes you can try, I am sure you will enjoy them.

      Delete
  20. Hi Sadhna,
    This flatbread looks quite tasty. Thanks for sharing all the information about Naan - I was not aware of this. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ho Marla, Thanks for your comment and for pinning and tweeting.

      Delete
  21. A very useful and handy recipe to have! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Instant Naan looks delicious thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop, pinning and tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Swathi for your comment and for tweeting and pinning.

      Delete
  23. Naan is the best and the reason I love eating at Indian restaurants! I like the idea of making my own so I can control the butter. Thanks for linking up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah for your comment. Yes you are right, we can easily avoid butter, it is used only for garnishing.

      Delete
  24. I cannot wait to make this, my family loves naan bread! They liked it but really fell in love with it at a Mediterranean restaurant in DC. thank you for linking up, happy Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know that your family likes it, You can give it a try and it is easy to make. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  25. Who can resist this easy recipe! I am so delighted that you shared your delectable Instant Naan with us at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party!Thank you so much for sharing your gems and for your support! All the best, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks for your lovely comment Deborah. All the very best to you too.

      Delete
  26. I love NAAN! I am featuring this recipe this week!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party and hope to see you again this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Thanks for featuring my recipe of naan and for pinning. I will come and check. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  27. My all time favorite naan. This looks easy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loving your simple Naan recipe...totally handy and useful recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Naan looks so soft and delicious, love Madhur Jaffrey's recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  30. Will give this a try some time - have always wanted to have a go at making naan, so much better freshly made #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't know this amazing lady Madhor, but she is a great inspiration. Lovely to know that her amazing cookbook! Will look out for her book!
    We love naan bread in this household and I would love to try it out! Have you make mango naan bread before? I love to try it out!
    Thank you for sharing it with us #pintorials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen for your lovely comment .I didn't try naan bread with mango. normally we eat naan bread with savoury curries or stews.

      Delete
  32. What a great recipe, I am glad to have this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miz Helen for your comment, yes i will join this week again.

      Delete
  33. These look delicious!
    THanks for sharing at Funtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love naan, but have never made it at home, thanks for this recipe, I will have to give it a try, it looks so good! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for the recipe...I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete